As you’ve probably heard, President Trump has publicaly stated, “We are going to get rid of it [US Environmental Protection Agency] in almost every form.” Stripping down regulations and agencies that protect our waterways and natural resources favors the interests of polluters instead of the people. We need YOUR help to protect what is rightfully ours! The EPA was created in 1972 to protect swimmable, fishable, and drinkable waterways and the ecosystems that depend on them. There’s no time to move backwards when we’ve come this far! Take action by telling your Congress member that cuts to the EPA budget Read more →
Job title: Staff Attorney
Location: Hackensack, NJ and Keyport, NJ
Education requirements: JD
Employment type: Full Time
Professional level: Admission to NJ & NY bars
Job function: Legal, advocacy
Area of focus: Environment, Water Quality
Date of Publication: January 2017
Hackensack Riverkeeper and NY/NJ Baykeeper, founding members of the Waterkeeper Alliance and the primary advocates for clean water and public access in the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary and urban North Jersey, seek a shared staff attorney. Our small, scrappy non-profit organizations’ shared mission is to preserve, protect and restore the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary, the Hackensack River, the New Jersey Meadowlands, Raritan and Jamaica Bays and the waters that flow into the harbor, including the Passaic, Raritan, East and Lower Hudson Rivers.
Hackensack Riverkeeper and NY/NJ Baykeeper offer a collegial environment allowing a dedicated advocate the opportunity to have a significant impact on water quality in a target-rich environment. Our offices are about an hour apart with separate but compatible cultures that offer a collegial work environment. Our organizations value diversity and encourage qualified candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
The ideal candidate will be self-directed, organized and possess strong grounding in environmental law and policy necessary to further our shared goals of fishable and swimmable waters for all. Experience with the Clean Water Act, Administrative Procedure Act and the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act and relevant New Jersey and New York state law is desired; familiarity with these acts is required.
- Develop and continue legal strategy to improve water quality in the world’s most urbanized estuary.
- Attend NJ and NY State and federal regulatory meetings to advocate the organizations’ position on matters relating to our mission.
- Testify at State legislative hearings on relevant proposed legislation.
- Prepare and submit comments on proposed state and federal actions.
- Develop cases for litigation, both as primary counsel and as liaison for outside counsel.
- Draft appellate documents and present oral arguments in state appellate court.
- Serve as media contact for the organizations to regulators, courts, funders, the public and the media.
- Education and, ideally, experience in environmental law and policy, particularly as relates to water quality, hazardous substances and public access.
- Timely admittance to the New Jersey and New York Bars, if not already admitted.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Solid academic record in environmental law and policy.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
- High degree of independence, organization, strategic thinking and self-motivation.
- Salary range: $45,000 – $50,000.
- Position includes employee health benefits and retirement contribution.
- Paid holiday, personal days and sick days
- Payment of NJ and NY bar dues and continuing legal education
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, legal writing sample (a legal brief, comment letter or research memorandum), a law school transcript, and three legal references. We will accept applications until we have filled the position. Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. Send application materials to email@example.com with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line.