As you’ve probably heard, President Trump has publicaly stated, “We are going to get rid of it [US Environmental Protection Agency] in almost every form.” Stripping down regulations and agencies that protect our waterways and natural resources favors the interests of polluters instead of the people. We need YOUR help to protect what is rightfully ours! The EPA was created in 1972 to protect swimmable, fishable, and drinkable waterways and the ecosystems that depend on them. There’s no time to move backwards when we’ve come this far! Take action by telling your Congress member that cuts to the EPA budget Read more →
VICTORY! Because of YOU, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection announced that they are ABANDONING Liberty State Park privatization plans! Thank you to the Friends of Liberty State Park, Mayor Steven Fulop, Hudson County elected officials, and all those who fought to keep our open space free and green! Your voices were heard!
What was at stake:
Liberty State Park is the priceless, free and green park behind Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. LSP is peaceful, scarce urban open space in one of our nation’s most densely populated regions. It sees millions of visitors each year and is jam-packed on warm weekends year-round.
But Governor Christie wanted to change all that by leasing parkland to developers for large-scale projects including a hotel, an amusement park, a commercial amphitheater, and more. Instead of playing in the park, he wanted you to have to pay in the park. A report released by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) unveiled this development wish list that would have privatized key areas of Liberty State Park, all otherwise known as a smack in the face to Lady Liberty!
For forty years, overwhelming public consensus has consistently rejected exactly these kinds of privatization proposals. Thanks to YOU, LSP will remain a People’s Park!
- Liberty State Park Advocates Cheer DEP Decision to Abandon Development, David Giambusso, Politico, May 12, 2016
- Opinion: Liberty State Park by the Numbers, Greg Remaud, The Record, March 2, 2016
- In Brief Thaw, Sweeney and Fulop Join Forces for Liberty State Park, David Giambusso, Politico, January 21, 2016
- Park Advocates, Elected Leaders to Form Coalition to Save Liberty State Park, Ron Zeitlinger, The Jersey Journal, January 19, 2016
- Online Petition has Direct to Christie: Don’t Sell out Liberty State Park, Caitlin Mota, The Jersey Journal, January 13, 2016
- Don’t Commercialize Liberty State Park, Michele Byers, Daily Record, December 21, 2015
- Battle for Liberty State Park Continues, Al Sullivan, Hudson Reporter, December 20, 2015
- We Need Liberty State Park to Stay as it is, Jersey Journal, December 17, 2015
- Keep Liberty State Park Green and Free, The Jersey Journal, December 18, 2015