As you’ve probably heard, President Trump has publicaly stated, “We are going to get rid of it [US Environmental Protection Agency] in almost every form.” Stripping down regulations and agencies that protect our waterways and natural resources favors the interests of polluters instead of the people. We need YOUR help to protect what is rightfully ours! The EPA was created in 1972 to protect swimmable, fishable, and drinkable waterways and the ecosystems that depend on them. There’s no time to move backwards when we’ve come this far! Take action by telling your Congress member that cuts to the EPA budget Read more →
Community Outreach Fellow
NY/NJ Baykeeper (Keyport, NJ)
Job Type: One Year Fellowship
NY/NJ Baykeeper is the citizen advocate of the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary. Since 1989, we’ve worked to protect, preserve, and restore the environment of the most urban estuary on Earth – benefiting its natural and human communities. Through our Estuary-wide programs we seek to end pollution, improve public access, conserve and restore public lands, restore aquatic habitats, encourage appropriate and discourage inappropriate development, carry out public education, and work with federal and NY/NJ state regulators and citizen groups as partners in planning for a sustainable future for the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary watershed.
The Community Outreach Fellow will work closely with the Executive Director and Communications and Outreach Associate to expand, develop, and implement community outreach plans using a new communication platform known as Ground Source. Ground Source encourages two-way communication through text messaging and social media. A unique phone number and integrated web dashboard was assigned to NY/NJ Baykeeper to invite the community to get in touch, just as they would when messaging a friend.
Ground Source will be used to engage the public about clean water issues in the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary area. The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. A strong self-starter with creativity and imagination will thrive in this position.
- Expand an opt-in communication platform known as Ground Source to expand NY/NJ Baykeeper’s reach and further two-way communication between the organization and the public.
- Plan, design, and implement a two-way communication schedule and content via texting and Facebook Messenger.
- Manage and expand listservs.
- Develop new and existing partnerships to increase traffic to Ground Source.
- Track and analyze Ground Source performance
- Integrate communications into storytelling.
- Bachelor’s degree, specialized in Marketing/Communication preferred.
- A minimum of 1-2 years community outreach and/or organizing experience.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Self-motivated and successful with outlining, managing and performing in multi-tasking environment.
- Team-oriented with positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with outside partners
- Salary range $32,000 – $34,500.
- Position includes employee health benefits and retirement contribution.
- Paid holiday, personal days and sick days.
Interested candidates can email a resume and cover letter to Sandra Meola at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.
Application deadline: Feb. 1, 2017
Our organizations value diversity and encourage qualified candidates of all backgrounds to apply.